Listen to "Welcome to my podcast" on Spreaker.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Brief History......



Peace All,

I'm working on some really nice projects, hopefully one project coming this weekend, but in the meantime, I just wanted to give a little history on this piece, which seems to have attracted some admirers. This pic is untitled, and it was not intended to represent someone whom served in this country's armed forces. When I produced this piece in early 2007(while at work mind you) I just pulled up a green pastel and went to work. I worked on it extensively and VOILA! here's the end result. After a while I began to experience stories from former vets whom I would meet in the park, some were exercising, some were homeless, but some had very interesting stories to tell about wars they experienced, and how the government treated them after the wars were over. It was there where I found out who were some of the biggest users of Prozac and other antidepressants were. Add this with the stories I have read from other sources and books about how soldiers were suffering from anxiety attacks and extreme forms of depressions, and how some sources repeated of how former vets were experiencing hard times coping with civilian life, and how some became homeless, addicts, and all around disillusioned with the dream of fighting for something they believed in. The more I looked at the picture, the more it took on a totally different meaning, one of similar to my experiences of working to make someone else wealthy, and not getting any real rewards for the services rendered.

Coupled with reading stories of how soldiers were denied treatment for what is now known as Desert Storm Fever and how some of the soldiers' had deformed children as a result of coming into contact with the chemicals in the gulf war and not being acknowledged by their "employers" and this picture takes on a whole new meaning.



The picture is not in my possesion anymore, it was given to a person who encouraged me to desert the killing fields where I was employed, and was told, "Don't look back. You're stepping out on faith"

I plan to reproduce a much larger picture in the near future, God Willing..

Take care all, I love you......Quwwa signing off.

1 comment:

  1. When I was a rookie cop, the most serious calls were dealing with Vietnam Vets with Post Traumatic Stress and dealing with suicidal threats. I fear if we don't care for these newest Vets, we'll see the resurgence of these calls. Powerful image.

    ReplyDelete

My Bloggy Friends

My Favorite Blogs